Your staff are the most valuable component of your business!
What is the most valuable component of any business? The answer is simple, it’s the employees. Your employees are what drives your business. They make it possible to operate on a day-to-day basis. One of the biggest issues in the childcare sector at the moment is staff retention. We all know that in this sector, HR can be a bit of a minefield. We are all trying to do right by our staff, all the while ensuring our businesses are running to their full potential. It can be tough.
Here, I have put together a few pointers for you:
- Having a Recruitment Policy is a must!
- Contains the procedures that are followed when hiring a new staff member.
- Outline the details of the application and interview processes.
- Clearly states the requirement for references and Garda/Police Vetting.
- Know what you are looking for.
- What role are you advertising for?
- What are the qualifications/attributes you need to join your team?
- Make a check list.
- Contracts- Clear and concise.
- Qualifications, working hours, breaks, annual leave, probation period and type of contract should be easily identifiable.
- Clarify rate of pay and state how often the staff member will be paid.
- Discipline and Grievance policies outlined.
- Provide clear instructions to ensure your staff know what they are doing, and if not, ensure they know where to go for support.
- Regular Support and Supervision.
- Empower, Motivate and Demonstrate.
- Remember to consider the wellbeing of your employees and ensure you are providing an inclusive and supportive work environment where everyone can prosper and grow.
One of the main things we must take away from this, is that supporting your staff is key. It is also important to note that people work better with recognition and praise. We all know why we are in this sector, we love working with and for children. We must concentrate on how we can work TOGETHER to make their Early Years the most positively memorable time of their lives!
Catherine Colleton, KCCC Development Officer